12 January 2011

I'm So Fragrant!

I'm mailing my student loan consolidation form in today, and I eagerly await the point in my life where I have that payment automatically deducted from my monthly paycheck and, therefore, never have to worry about it ever again. Actually, I'd like each of my monthly bills to be automatically removed from my bank account and, therefore, automatically removed from my consciousness.

If things go as planned, I'll be saving something like $250 a month. That's ridiculous/awesome/actually affordable. I can make that work. Something I never thought I might have in my life is a monthly budget that actually works. That's reassuring and feels like silk sheets, but metaphorically not literally.

So, word on the street is that it snowed around here. Oh, you wonder why I'm not sure? That would be because this is the view from my apartment:


It's technically referred to as the "atrium," but I think I'm going to start calling it "The Grotto." Not entirely because I once found an opened condom wrapper directly under my window, but I also can't say that doesn't play at least a small role. It's not as dark in there as I sometimes tell myself it is, but I will not open my blinds more often because that means I can't walk around in my underwear. Listen, it's my apartment, I know, but still... I'd rather not.

This weekend featured two friends and I watching the single most horrifying film I've ever seen in my entire life, and if the screaming didn't make me drop some weight, perhaps the continuation of the Couch to 5k business has. Yesterday I started the second week of 5k training through the program, and it involved me jogging for 90 seconds then walking for two minutes. Like last week's start, it nearly killed me I think. I spent a significant amount of time checking my phone while thinking "how do I still have 75 seconds of jogging left?" but, by God, I got through it. I'm sincerely hoping tomorrow's workout is easier, like it was last week, and then Saturday morning I'm kicking ass and taking names.

Exacerbating my near death workout yesterday was the amount of track traffic. Well, gym traffic overall. I did my last workout last week on a treadmill because there were kids playing in the play area by the track in my building (sometime I'll take a picture of this so it makes more sense), but yesterday there were kids AND people on the treadmills in the gym. The snow has given everyone the idea to hang out at the track, apparently. Most annoyingly was, at one point, about seven teenagers in full winter coats were walking the opposite direction of everyone else while carrying big gulps. One of them said something to me, but I couldn't tell if it was a student I knew or just a random person, so I gave them the deuces fingers (much like that gentleman). They wouldn't leave the track, and it was at a point in my workout where, undoubtedly, I looked the most ridiculous. I hadn't showered, and I was totally rocking my Bondi Band. Here I am modeling my Bondi Band while looking like I'd like to hurt someone:


I don't know why I look so pissed, but I can tell you it's definitely not because of how much I love that Bondi Band. I received it from a friend as a Christmas gift, and they're sort of the best things ever because they absorb my sweat as I workout and hold my hair back. Does my hair look ridiculous sticking out of the back of that thing? Yep, but whatevs. I love it.

So yeah, those kids finally left, and my last lap or two was completely alone save for other actual exercisers, including three guys who appeared to be actual runners. I did it. And I took this picture as the closest thing I've been thus far to the snow:


In completely unrelated news, I went to the debacle some called a playoff game for the Chiefs on Sunday. Here's the thing though- it was really fun, the Chiefs weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year, and the resulting ridiculousness of the trip made for a really memorable experience. During the first quarter the crowd made this happen:


It says "Go Chiefs" while simultaneously advertising for Hy-Vee. Where I'm going to go later for groceries. It must have worked! Happy trails, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment